- Aflac Insurance Benefits: For our members who are trying to get pregnant, you may consider signing up for the disability and hospital stay plans through Aflac Insurance Benefits. You may pay insurance premiums for about 12 months. In the end, Aflac may pay you a thousand or more than what you paid for the insurance. Please note you need to have this insurance before you get pregnant and the insurance may differ for each individual.
- Paycheck Deductions: You would need to sign up for the Coalition of California State Workers deducts the monthly insurance premiums from your paycheck which is very convenient (see attached membership application).
Maternity/Paternity Leave benefits:
Some highlights of the leave benefits under the current MOU.
- A female permanent employee shall be entitled, upon request, to an unpaid leave of absence for purposes of pregnancy, childbirth, recovery therefrom or care for the newborn child for a period not to exceed one (1) year, including any leave granted under the FMLA.
- A male spouse, male parent, or effective April 1, 2002, domestic partner as defined and certified with the Secretary of State’s office in accordance with Family Code Section 297, who is a permanent employee, shall be entitled, upon request, to an unpaid leave of absence for a period not to exceed one (1) year to care for his newborn child.
- During the period of time an employee is on parental leave, he/she shall be allowed to continue their health, dental, and vision benefits. Except as provided under the FMLA, the cost of these benefits shall be paid by the employee and the rate that the employee will pay will be the group rate.
Other Leave Programs include:
- Enhanced Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (ENDI)- female employees on annual leave receive 50% of monthly gross salary, as early as the 36th week of pregnancy through delivery of baby and six weeks or eight weeks after the birth of the baby depending on the type of delivery. Male employees and adoptive parents are not eligible to receive compensation for time off.
- Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (NDI)- female employees on sick and vacation leave receive 60% of gross salary, not to exceed $135/week, for six or eight weeks depending on the type of delivery.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)- provides 12 weeks of unpaid time off, job protection and continued group health insurance coverage. This benefit is not specific to Unit 9 employees.
- California Family Rights Act (CFRA)- provides 12 weeks of unpaid time off, job protection and continued group health insurance coverage. This benefit is not specific to Unit 9 employees.
Maternity-Paternity Leave Benefits Summary
- The following are examples, please always check with your HR if the examples are appropriate for you: